The church of the Virgin ‘Panagia Vrefotrofos’ (the protector of infants) is located in the center of the city of Agios Nikolaos, near the sea.
The church has been restored, and it is a single-nave barrel-vaulted church with a west-facing entrance. Its dome is supported by reinforcing arches and covered with a saddleback roof. During the Venetian rule the inside of the church was decorated with frescoes which survive in fragmented form today.
Furthermore, inside the church one can see the monumental tomb of the noble Venetian Lavrentios Malipiero, with a Latin inscription bearing the date 1602.
Further information regarding the monument :
Important dates (day/month) : 15/8
Name of person responsible : Father Eiaggelos Paxigiannakis
Phone of person responsible : +30 2841028036