The Church of Saint Nikolaos gave its name to the city of Agios Nikolaos. It is one of the few monuments of early Byzantine architecture located in Crete (Gerola 1908, 198). The church has been restored and it is a single-nave domed church with a big apse above the sanctuary. Inside it some fragmented frescoes survive (Gerola 1908, 300). The initial schematic decoration dating to the years of Iconoclasm (7th-9th century) is composed of geometric and plant designs, intersecting circles forming colorful four-leaf designs with bright colors, drawings of logs with branches, lozenges and rosettes. The newer layer of painting which dates to the early 14th century is represented by pictures of saints and a part of the Annunciation on the head of the apse.